Definition
Ending
- Attached to the Mizenkei (-a) form of a verb, the ending ~ず -zu is used to negate a verb and imply that the action or state is ongoing. Its usage is commonly translated as "without" or "while not".
- おもわず【思わず】
omowazu
"(I was) not thinking (when)", "(I) unintentionally", "(I) ~ without thinking", "Without thinking..." - あめにもまけず【雨ニモマケズ】
ame ni mo makezu
"While not succumbing to the rain", "Without giving in to the rain"
(Famous poem title by Kenji Miyazawa)
- おもわず【思わず】
- When compounded with the particle に -ni and followed by another verb or phrase, it implies the notion of "without (doing)" or "while not (doing)".
- When compounded alone with に -ni, it may be used to indicate prohibition.
- In the construction ~ずにはいられない ~zu ni wa irarenai or ~ずにいられない ~zu ni irarenai, it means "to be unable to help but (do something)", "cannot help (but) ~", "can't help but ~".
- せずにはいられない
sezu ni wa irarenai
"cannot help but do (it)"
- せずにはいられない
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.