When I was young, I loved reading story books. Thus it is my belief that anyone can learn Japanese language through storybooks. In this blog, I will attempt to translate simple stories to English. In the process, I hope that you (and me) can improve on our Japanese language together!
x
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
nara v tara なら たら
from japanesepod.com
Today's grammar point is -tara and -nara, both of which form conditional phrases. Tara is a subordinate conjunction. In English, this roughly corresponds to "when," "if" and "after." Nara is the hypothetical form of the da copula, which expresses the speaker's supposition about the truth of a present or past fact or the actualization of something in the future. In English, this roughly corresponds to "if it is true that" or "if that's the case."
Formation:
Tara: Verb / Adj (informal past tense) + ra
走ったら
Hashitta ra
かわいかったら
kawaikatta ra
Noun + datta +ra
雨だったら
ame datta ra
Nara: Verb /i-Adj (informal form) + nara
勉強するなら
benkyō suru nara
高いなら
takai nara
na-Adjective (stem) + nara
きれいなら
kirei nara
Noun + nara
子どもなら
kodomo nara
Examples:
タクシーに乗ったら間に合うよ。
Takushī ni nottara maniau yo.
If you get a taxi, you can make it.
明日、雨だったら、運動会は中止です。
Ame datta ra, undōkai wa chūshi desu.
If it is rainy tomorrow, we won't do the athletic festival.
そんなに高いなら、買わないよ。
Sonna ni takai nara, kawanai yo.
If it's so expensive, I won't buy it.
先生ならきっとおこるだろう。
Sensei nara kitto okoru darō.
I bet my teacher would get angry.
着いたら、改札の前で待っています。
Tsuita ra, kaisatsu no mae de matte imasu.
When I arrive, I'll wait for you in front of the electronic ticket gate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.