x

Monday, November 12, 2018

間 = aida

CREDIT : Maggie Sensei

We are going to teach you the difference between   ( = aida) and 間に ( aida ni) today.
The word  ( = aida) means
1) between: to indicate the physical location “between A and B 
Ex. 名古屋は東京と大阪のにあります。
= Nagoya wa Toukyou to Oosaka no aida ni arimasu.]
Nagoya is between Tokyo and Osaka.
2) to indicate the time period between A and B 
Ex. 9時から6時の、仕事です。
= Kuji kara rokuji no aida, shigoto desu.
I work from nine to six.
Now what we are going to focus on today is 
3)  “during some time period”, “while doing something” / “while something is in certain state” 
You use both  ( = aida ) and 間に ( = aida ni ) but they are slightly different.
Let’s look at each one individually.
  = あいだ = aida  
* How to form:
noun +  ( = no) +  ( = aida)
verb ( dictionary form/progressive tense ) ている( = teiru) /  +   ( = aida)
adjective +  ( = aida) +  ( = wa) 
*How to use:
You use  ( = aida) when you do something the whole time during a certain period of time
→on-going actions during a certain period of time.
Ex. 夏の間、塾で勉強をしていた。
= Natsu no aida, juku de benkyou wo shiteita.
= I had been studying at a cram school during the summer. 
Ex. 子供が、食事の、ずっとテレビを観ていたので注意した。
= Kodomo ga, shokuji no aida, zutto terebi wo mite ita node chuui shita.
I scolded my child because they were watching TV the whole time during their meal.
Ex. 母が出かけている、昼寝をしていた。
= Haha ga dekakete iru aida, hirune wo shiteita.
I was taking a nap while my mother was away.
Ex. 私が旅行で留守の、花に水をあげてください。
= Watashi ga ryokou de rusu no aida, hana ni mizu wo agete kudasai.
Please water the flowers while I am gone on my trip.
Ex. 彼は私がしゃべっているずっと黙って聞いていた。
= Kare wa watashi ga shabette iru aida zutto damatte kiite ita.
He kept quiet and just listened to me while I was talking. 
Ex. 私が買い物をしている、そこで本を読んで待っていてくれる?
= Watashi ga kaimono wo shite iru aida, soko de hon wo yonde matte ite kureru?
= Can you read a book and wait for me there while I shop?
Ex. デートの、携帯の電源を切っておいた。
= Deeto no aida, keitai no dengen wo kitte oita.
During my date, I turned off my cellphone. 
Note:  ( = aida wa)
When you emphasize what came before, you use  ( = aida wa).
Ex. 母が出かけているは、弟の面倒をみなくてはいけない。
= Haha ga dekakete iru aida wa, otouto no mendou wo minakute wa ikenai.
When my mother is away, I have to look after my little brother.
(I don’t usually have to look after him but when my mom is away, I do.)
Ex. 子供が小さいは、働きに行くのが難しい。
= Kodomo ga chiisai aida wa, hataraki ni iku no ga muzukashii.
When my child is little it is hard to go to work.
(But maybe when my child grows up, it will be easier for me to go to work.)
Ex.僕がいないは、部屋を好きに使っていいよ。(male speech)
= Boku ga inai aida wa, heya wo suki ni tsukatte iiyo.
Feel free to use my room while I’m gone.
Ex. 赤ちゃんが寝ているは、静かにして。
= Akachan ga nete iru aida wa, shizuka ni shite.
Try to keep quiet while the baby is sleeping.
******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.